Wednesday, January 14, 2009

CPSIA

I have recently found out about the new CPSIA rules that are going to be in effect starting February 10. The gist of the as applied to booksellers is that any children's books published before 2009 are going to need to have certification that there is no lead in them. While I don't really specialize in children's books, I still have several boxes of them worth a decent amount of money. It is not however enough money to afford to get all my books tested.
As I have been reading about this new law I have been upset at how it does not make any consideration for small businesses that are making a living selling children's books, toys, etc. The entrepreneur is the backbone of the American economy and I understand the need to protect our children, but there needs to be some thought about protecting the economy too.
I ended up writing a letter to my senator, Arlen Specter, and as expected I received a generic email explaining the reasons behind the bill, but it didn't even come close to touching on points that I made.
I encourage you to contact your congressmen about this issue. Nothing will change if we don't talk to the people that are to be representing us.

No comments:

Post a Comment