Friday, January 23, 2009

Antique shop books

I know that people are always searching for new places to buy inventory, so I thought that might be an interesting thing for me to write about. I myself had been looking for new places to look. I had originally had a business model where I would go in after a sale was over and pay a bargain price for the remaining books. I found that too be a bit of a hit or miss though. Some sales it would be great with lots of pre-isbn numbers that couldn't be tagged by the scanners, but most were just filled with penny books. I got myself a scanner and decided to be the first there and take home all the great books. That has actually worked for me several times. One time in particular I was able to find almost $2000 in inventory within three hours (I had to leave after that since I had a big test back at college..). When there weren't good sales going on though I had to rely on going to thrift shops and hoping to find a good deal there. Which is hir or miss.

Recently I had a free day and on a whim decided to hit up the local antique shop. I found a large section of books from several dealers. I hadn't really dealt in the area of antique books before so I decided I was going to learn. I picked out books that I thought were going to be real winners and took pictures of them with my cell phone. I ran (well, drove) home and looked them up. I actually had a pretty good nack for what was good. I ended up finding just under $1000 of books there. It was a much different model then what I was used too. While at the other book sale I was talking about where I found $2000 of inventory, it costed me $100 for several boxes of books. At the antique shop, it cost me around $70 for 9 books.

I'll keep you posted on any other ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment